Callow Hall was built in 1849-1852 in two parallel ranges, two storeys and a four bay front. It was originally designed as a much more ambitious Jacobean-style three storey house by H.J.Stevens in 1848 for John Goodwin Johnson, but later reduced in scale.
A range at right angles builds the main block and was originally intended for stables but was adapted as the service wing, there is a small belfry tower within the angle.
The hall was sold within twenty years of completion to the Buckstones, who later let it to Harcourt-Capper, Henniker and Claypon Wood, and eventually sold it to A.F.Longdon, finally it was sold between the wars to G.E.Gather a local family.
The Spencer family purchased the house and commence renovation into a country house hotel and finally opened their doors as a family run business in 1982. After operation for 26 years in business the hotel was sold to Von Essen Hotels.