Callow Hall was built in 1849-1852 in
two parallel ranges, two storeys and a four bay front. It was
originally designed as a much more ambitious Jacobean-style three storey
house by H.J.Stevens in 1848 for John Goodwin Johnson, but later
reduced in scale.
A range at right angles builds the main block
and was originally intended for stables but was adapted as the service
wing, there is a small belfry tower within the angle.
was sold within twenty years of completion to the Buckstones, who later
let it to Harcourt-Capper, Henniker and Claypon Wood, and eventually
sold it to A.F.Longdon, finally it was sold between the wars to
G.E.Gather a local family.
The Spencer family purchased the house
and commence renovation into a country house hotel and finally opened
their doors as a family run business in 1982. After operation for
26 years in business the hotel was sold to Von Essen Hotels.